Nov. 19, 2020 — As COVID-19 case counts and hospitalizations of proceed to speed up within the U.S., the CDC on Thursday bluntly suggested Individuals to not journey for the Thanksgiving vacation.
“Amid this important part, the CDC is recommending towards journey through the Thanksgiving interval,” stated Henry Walke, MD, COVID-19 incident supervisor, on a name with reporters.
Walke stated all types of journey are dangerous.
“What we’re involved about shouldn’t be solely the precise mode of journey — whether or not it’s an airplane or bus or automotive — but in addition the transportation hubs we’re involved about, as effectively.”
Standing in line to get on aircraft, bus, or practice makes it more durable to maintain house between your self and different individuals.
With circumstances already climbing at alarming charges, CDC officers stated they had been involved that the vacations could additional drive up circumstances and deaths, notably for older relations.
“The most secure method to have a good time Thanksgiving this 12 months is at house with members of your family,” stated Erin Sauber-Schatz, PhD, head of the CDC’s Neighborhood Interventions and significant Populations Process Power, in keeping with TheNew York Instances.
The company launched up to date Thanksgiving steering as effectively, that strengthens its earlier warnings in regards to the upcoming vacation.
“Gatherings with household and mates who don’t stay with you’ll be able to enhance the possibilities of getting or spreading COVID-19 or the flu,” the steering says. “Journey could enhance your likelihood of getting and spreading COVID-19. Suspending journey and staying house is one of the best ways to guard your self and others this 12 months.”
For those who’re nonetheless contemplating touring or gathering with different individuals, the CDC suggests answering these questions first:
- Are you, somebody in your family, or somebody you may be visiting at elevated danger for getting very sick from COVID-19?
- Are circumstances excessive or rising in your neighborhood or your vacation spot? Verify the CDC’s COVID Knowledge Tracker for the most recent variety of circumstances.
- Are hospitals in your neighborhood or your vacation spot overwhelmed with sufferers who’ve COVID-19? To seek out out, verify state and native public well being division web sites.
- Does your house or vacation spot have necessities or restrictions for vacationers? Verify state and native necessities earlier than you journey.
- Through the 14 days earlier than your journey, have you ever or these you might be visiting had shut contact with individuals they don’t stay with?
- Do your plans embody touring by bus, practice, or air, which could make staying 6 toes aside troublesome?
- Are you touring with individuals who don’t stay with you?
For those who answered “sure” to any of those questions, the CDC suggests making different plans: Keep house, host a “digital” Thanksgiving, or postpone it till one other time.